What is White and Black and Red All Over? Jamie in McCalls M6609
I haven’t had a tremendous amount of time for sewing this fall. Between work and the farm and the kids, there are just not enough hours in the day. In addition, Mike and I have been working on getting back in shape and that really becomes another “job”. One of the benefits of shedding some extra pounds is rediscovering my love of clothes and fashion. When I was a girl, I really wanted to be a fashion designer. The truth is, that is a really tough world to have a career in and I am much happier sewing a garment here and there in my spare time.
I have been having fun sewing some pieces for myself, previously all of my garment sewing has been for the kids. I really love Vogue V1250, I have made three versions, you can see one here in my flickr stream. I also love McCalls M6563, I have made about half a dozen of these tops, they are so quick to sew up.
Ever since I saw this dress by Alexia Abegg in one of my favorite Summersville prints, I knew I wanted to make something similar. The problem was that it took a very long time for the pattern to get released, as happens some times, and in the meantime, I saw this dress and thought that using Summersville would be perfect for this pattern. So, I bought my copy of McCalls M6609 and last weekend I made a muslin. I worked out some minor fit and sizing issues and this week I carefully cut out my pieces from my prized Summersville stash. I cut the front of the bodice on the bias, to really draw attention to the print in a way that appeared flattering. I cut the back bodice with the “stripes” going horizontally, while the skirt was cut vertically. I used Kona Red for the cut-outs.
Yesterday I stitched it all up. This is a very straightforward and easy to follow pattern. If you are an intermediate sewist, it should be no problem. I followed the pattern pretty exactly with the following changes/additions:
- I made this dress in a size 12.
- I used black for the lining instead of the exterior print.
- I serged my interior seams
- I attached the lining to the inside of the zipper
- I lengthened the skirt by 4 inches.
- I cut the front bodice on the bias and the back perpendicular to the selvage instead of parallel to it.
The dress came together quickly and I was very excited to wear it today to the Denyse Schmidt Studio Sale, one of my favorite yearly events (more on that tomorrow). I have another version of this cut out in a grey wool blend and I made a brown jersey version from some vintage fabric I had.
Here are some pictures of me in the dress. We got a bit silly with the turkeys, seeing as it is only two weeks from Thanksgiving, I was eyeing them up for size 😉
I had to make a dress for Miss C as well. She likes to ham it up in front of the camera almost as much as her mother does. I can’t remember where the pattern for this came from, it is a super simple peasant style dress with an elastic collar. The fabric is a stretch jersey from JoAnns.